Sunday, April 3, 2016

Deadlines


Thursday, in my welding and electrical class the students began constructing a boot scraper.  All of the students were excited to put their welding skills to the test thus far and finally construct something out of metal. 

Class began on a great note going over how to properly set up the plasma cutter which the students just became certified on.  After that I passed out their directions to constructing a boot scraper.  Upon all the students reading through the directions and procedures we headed out into the shop.  The class measured out 26 inches of flat stall and marked it in the appropriate spots to be cut in the metal shear.  After all the students’ flat steel was cut in the metal shear they began measuring and cutting their pieces into the proper lengths to be welded together to make a boot scraper. 

At this point the students have been certified in the plasma cutter, oxy-actelyene torch, and of course metal hack saw.  All cutting methods were chosen by the class to cut their pieces of flat steel.  As the class period ticked on the students worked diligently to construct their boot scraper. 

I have found sometimes not to set a time stamp on projects in the shop.  At least for the class that I am teaching this semester, each student works hard and stays on task.  While I realize this might not always be the case, but for this class not giving a time stamp at the beginning of the period ends up in better quality work.  About three quarters through the period students began coming up to me asking “is this due today?”  I realized that many of the students were just finishing cutting their pieces of metal or beginning to cut their holes in their base metal pieces.  So, as students came up to me I told them “no this project is not due today.” 

Sometimes deadlines must be set.  And in the agricultural mechanics shop there are going to be times when there are deadlines which must be met.  However, since there is no monetary amount involved, and these students are not on the job sometimes students should be given the time to construct their projects and end up with a quality piece.  Than something put together last minute.  I did appreciate that my students kept track of the time and worked diligently to complete the task given to them.  Realizing the end of the period was near.  This time I felt that the students deserved more time. 

Reflecting on this class when I come back to school Monday I must take time to talk about deadlines.  While I realize my students were not going to complete this assignment in a period.  Many of my students plan on pursuing mechanical careers.  I must stress the fact that in such careers there will be deadlines.  And to stay employed these deadlines must be met.  Yes, sometimes the deadlines are unrealistic and you will realize when they are, but many times with the skills you have obtained the deadlines you are given must be met or you will be out a job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment