Sunday, March 27, 2016

It Doesn't End at 2:45

The life of an ag. teacher.   I think no two definitions would ever be the same.  It is a whirl wind of classroom instruction, grading, SAE visits, CDE practices, county ag. teacher meetings, banquet planning, traveling to state and national events, professional development workshops and much more. 


This week at Lampeter Strasburg was one of those weeks and more.  On Monday, I visited a cohort member of mine to complete an assignment.  That meant leaving sub plans and anticipating the students would get through everything I had set forth for them to do.  Traveling for me, up early away from my students all day and arriving home late in the evening.  To figure out what to make for supper, take the clothes out of the washer and put into the dryer that I had forgotten to do the night before and check my email which I did not get to at all during the day.  My email brought to my attention one of my classes did not get through all the material I had set forth for them.  However, with preparation, anticipation and planning I nipped that setback in the butt and was ready to be back in my classroom for Tuesday. 

Tuesday and Wednesday brought full days of instruction.  My vet science 1 class has begun learning about the dairy industry and I am very excited!  My welding and electrical class are about to begin their individual projects and are pumped to make or repair something of their own.  Vet science 2 is right into the “bone” of things learning all about the skeletal system and fractures.  I myself am learning just as much as them.  If not more! 

Thursday brought an early dismal… at least for the students.  The rest of the faculty/staff and myself spent the afternoon completing suicide prevention modules, grading papers, constructing SLO’s, and preparing for our evening ag. advisory board meeting. 

Spring break was a far off maybe even fictional place for me.  As 7:30 came around Lampeter Strasburg conducted their second of two required ag. advisory board meetings.  Sitting their listening to the educational curriculum coordinator, members from the community, and other teachers I again was reminded that being an ag. teacher doesn’t mean you have to go at it alone.  There are so many people who can help, want to strengthen, and improve your program.

1 comment: