Sunday, April 10, 2016

SAE Visit #2


Recently, I visited a student of mine who is in my welding and electrical class.  I got to see his first ever SAE project.  Since he is a freshman, however he has been raising dairy beef for a number of years through 4-H.  Before heading out to visit, together during RTII/flex we looked at his AET record book and evaluated the overall record book.  We agreed that he needed to begin keeping more routine detailed records of what he specifically does with his dairy beef.  We talked about how if he continues with his record book keeping he could win multiple awards and money.  All for just keeping detailed records!  This intrigued him and I believe the fire is now there for him to stay on top of entering records.  

As I pulled up to the farm my student was already outside of the parlor with his calf leading it around.  He informed me prior at school that his calf was a bit rambunctious and he had a hard time leading it.  All signs were opposite while I was there.  He did a superb job leading his calf.  The cool thing about these visits is anything can happen.  Also, you should never assume anything and any moment can be a teachable moment.  Come to find out my student or his father had never used a weigh tape before.  So, I got to explain to them how to use it and we then weighed his calf.  His calf is right on track for fair in September currently weighing 325 lbs.  After weighing the calf he spoke to me about his duties on the farm and the chores he does taking care of the calves.  He said he enjoys working with the animals as long as they are bucket trained!

He then took me into their milking parlor and I got to see their facility.  I got to speak with his father a little bit more while he was milking and made somewhat of a personal connection.  I truly saw the significance of these SAE visits.  They are a very powerful tool to have in our box of things ag. teachers get to do over regular teachers. 

1 comment:

  1. So...what advice did you give this student? How did you maximize the educational tool of SAE? What did we learn about financial literacy, career planning, or furthering technical instruction?

    ReplyDelete