Saturday, March 5, 2016

Proud Teacher Moment


Tuesday in Vet Science 2 I taught a lesson on Expected Progeny Differences (EPDs).  Expected Progeny Differences are something that beef producers use to compare bulls.  This statistical analysis helps producers choose the bull which is the best fit for their herd.  Areas within an EPD are calving ease difficulty, weaning weight, weaning yearling weight, and milk for example. This lesson was something exciting for me to teach because I don’t know much about the beef cattle industry, but it is a lot like the statistical analysis dairy farmers use. 

This lesson also brought a bit of a challenge because on Tuesday I had a visitor in my classroom.  This visitor was a bit of a big deal because he certainly knew his stuff when it came to EPDs.  Needless to say the lesson went off without a hitch.  It was probably one of the best lessons I have taught up until this point.  Halfway through my lesson my visitor actually jumped in and began co-teaching my lesson with me!  I have co-taught before and every time I have it has been a very positive experience.  My students by the end of the lesson had a solid understanding of how to read an EPD, but some questions thrown to them they didn’t quite get.  Only because many of them have very little production background experience with cattle, however when my visitor began asking them questions about genetics and breeding practices they were able to sufficiently answer his questions. 

This was a proud teacher moment for me.  Standing there in the room watching my students articulate their answers and understand the reasoning behind doing such breeding practices brought great joy to me.  I got to observe that the information I had taught them prior they retained!  Being a student teacher there are times when I ask myself are they really getting what I am trying to convey to them.  Tuesday showed that the lectures, worksheets, PowerPoints, and hands on activities I set out for them are meaningful.  The satisfaction is unexplainable.

FYI my visitor was my university supervisor.

2 comments:

  1. It was fun...Dang University Supervisors should keep their mouth shut!

    Enjoyed the business and industry visit after school as well! Never underestimate the power of the on-site visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. That was fun to watch. One of the students said, "Man, that guy sure loves his beef." And I replied, "Yeah, he's from Texas." And she just laughed. Great Job, Mason.

    ReplyDelete