Saturday, March 12, 2016

First Timer... SLLC 2016


Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday of this past week I attended The State Legislative Leadership Conference (SLLC) with my cooperating teacher and five FFA members.  This conference was just as exciting and informative for me as it was the students.  This was my first time ever attending SLLC myself.  FFA members from across Pennsylvania gathered together in Harrisburg to better understand the legislative process.  Students engaged in parliamentary procedure, learning how bills are created and passed, and reading bills being presented in the House of Senate of Pennsylvania.  From the moment students arrive they are enhancing their knowledge of public service, meeting new people, and conducting community service. 

I was excited to attend SLLC because I had never gone as an FFA member.  The conference itself blew my mind away with the amount of information students absorb which is very beneficial to them, their chapter, and most importantly the community they live in.  Being there from an advisor stand point I helped grade proficiencies with other agriculture instructors.  Taking part in this activity opened my eyes to the long hours our dedicated ag. teachers put in to allow for their students to succeed and achieve great things.  I also took part in an Edu Camp with other ag. teachers.  I enjoyed this workshop to be able to gain a plethora of information and knowledge from experienced instructors and advisors. 

Everyone at the conference as well participated in community service.  Our chapter along with numerous others helped do some spring cleaning at local churches.  This was a nice break from the long sessions our students had been in and to get our hands dirty a little bit.  It was nice lending a helping hand completing tasks that would have taken multiple days for these churches to complete. 

We ended the conference Tuesday morning having a breakfast and meeting legislators.  I thought this was a great experience for the students to get to engage in conversation with their local representatives and tell them all about what the FFA does and stands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment