Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mock Job Interview Reflection


Thursday morning during my prep period I conducted my mock interview with the principal of Lampeter Strasburg High School.  I had previously met Mr. Spencer when he came up to Mid-Winter Convention to observe our seniors receive their Keystone Degrees and freshmen receive their very own blue and gold jacket.  I really wasn’t nervous for this “interview” to take place.  I mean heck if I went in there and crashed like a plane all out of fuel over the Rockies or crushed it like a half court jump shot as the buzzer rang it really didn’t matter either way because this was just a mock interview.  However, I went in there like I would if this was the real deal and what I experienced and learned in those fifteen minutes will be carried with me for future interviews.  And allow for me to add my own personal touch to future interviews.  Here is a brief overview of my “mock job interview.”

1.       Mr. Spencer is a Bradford County native!  While I realize you won’t always have some sort of personal connection with your prospective employer.  Making that personal connection helps to get your interview off to a cool confident start.

 

2.       The questions asked are everything we have heard up until this point.  My first question out of the gate was why did you choose to become an educator.  Know what you want to say for this question it is the foundation of the rest of your interview.

 

3.       What does a typical lesson of instruction look like of yours? 

 

For this question I drew on what we had been taught at PSU recognizing the modalities of learning and multiple intelligences.  Having an activating strategy, bell work to get the students thinking about content we would be covering for the day, and incorporating variability.  Mr. Spencer provided me with an acronym to use.  E.A.T.S.  This stands for Essential question; Activating strategy, Teaching methods, and Summarization he said use this and then provide examples. 

 

4.       How do you incorporate technology into your classroom? 

 

This for each and every one of us is different.   It is the future of the 21st century classroom.  Be prepared to provide specific examples.  Like testing online providing immediate feedback.  Using videos, bringing in guest speakers to name just a few.

 

5.       A student of yours received a 58 at the end of the semester.  What grade do you give he/she and why? 

 

Thankfully before I answered this question Mr. Spencer informed me that there is no right or wrong answer.  After I provided my response he said you want to make sure that you are doing everything you should be doing so that it doesn’t get to this point at the end of the semester.  He said things could include talking to the parents or guardians, making sure you are implementing all the correct accommodations and adaptations if the student has any.  Also, offering extended assistance either before or after school or during RTII/Flex time. 

6.       How do you make sure you are reaching all of your students throughout your instruction? 

 

For this response you want to make sure you are aware of any IEP’s you may have in your class.  Get to know your students.  Build a rapport.  Create your instruction so that your students can apply it to a real world scenario.    

 

7.       Make sure to have questions to ask when the interview process is over

Keep on keeping on #psuaged16!

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a good interview..I would strongly encourage you to see if he could observe you teaching at some point and give feedback. This will allow him to potentially write a strong letter of recommendation.

    DF

    ReplyDelete