Saturday, February 20, 2016

Don't Be Bland... Use Some Salt & Pepper


Variability- apt or liable to vary or change; changeable.

As student teaching almost reaches the halfway point there are so many neat new experiences I have gotten to take advantage of.  As well there has been days of frustration, anxiety, and disengagement of my learners.  However, being able to bounce back and continue onward is vital!  Back to the word posted at the beginning of my blog variability.  I have found this to be ever so important when creating a lesson.  Just a quick recap my classes are 90 minutes and consist of vet 1, vet 2 and agricultural mechanics. 

I have noticed the “honeymoon” stage is over with my students.  While my students are very well mannered for the most part I am no longer something new to them.  I noticed this greatly in my first period class.  At the beginning of my student teaching the students were wide eyed and ears perked to hear what I had to say.  Now many students I notice are dozing off or not taking detailed notes.  At the end of each day I have looked back on my lesson and reflected how it went compared to how I would have liked it to go.  I want to keep my students engaged and find meaning to what I have to teach them.  So I have come up with a few strategies to incorporate this coming week to see if there is any improvement in my students’ attentiveness.

1.       With 90 minute classes I am going to incorporate one or two quick couple minute breaks in my lesson when I notice students becoming disengaged.  First period begins at 7:35am and I have completely overlooked not getting the blood flowing in my students in the morning when the first thing we do maybe a PowerPoint. 

2.       Sometimes throughout my lesson have the students find a new seat if engagement is becoming low.

3.       Have students work in small groups for even the littlest of activities.  This will get their minds thinking and provide just the thing you need to break up a lecture you might be doing.

4.       Incorporate short videos into your lesson.  I have found students are always very enthusiastic and attentive when you show them something on YouTube for example.

5.       Don’t be afraid to act a little goofy.  Students don’t like a teacher who stands up there at the front of the room and lectures for the entire class period in the same monotone voice.  They have enough of them.  Don’t be one.  Move about the room!  Use all areas of the classroom.  I have noticed my students pay much better attention to what I am telling them when I float about.


2 comments:

  1. Mason,

    Way to be honest with yourself and know you are the one that has the power to make the change. Really think about activating strategies and summarizing strategies. Start strong and finish strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason,

    Remember, no matter what the activity/teaching methods...we can only hold attention for approx. 1 minute per year of age.

    Are you engaging all modalities of learning? Are we listening, seeing, and moving? Most importantly - Are we doing?

    Are we being told as learners or are we inquiring into an authentic problem?

    Don't let PPT become the crutch that limits your ability to have students engage.

    I have to admit, I am uncomfortable with the notion or comment of building in "Breaks"..if we using engaging lesson plans, why do we need a break? We need to maximize instrucitonal time, which does NOT mean maximizing lecture time.

    I look forward to visiting soon.

    DF

    ReplyDelete