Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Reflection of my First Unit Plan!


Unit Information

Unit: Introduction to Shop Safety for Welding

Class Sessions: 15

Length of Sessions: 90 minutes

 

This past week I received my first unit plan back with peer reviewed feedback.  It felt so good to complete my first unit plan.  But there is no time for celebration because there are roughly eighteen more to go.  After reviewing my unit plan there were both areas where I excelled at and areas of improvement to make my unit plans a sound foundation for my lessons.  I have come to realize creating a good unit plan makes creating day to day lesson plans that much easier.    

First I will start with the positives of my unit plan.  The objectives I had stated were very clear and concise.  It is well understood what is planned to be taught each day and how it will be measured.  Setting my unit plan up into charts was very beneficial.  It makes my entire unit plan that much more accessible and organized when someone is looking for something specific.  Within my unit plan I also clearly had my unit goals stated.  Hoping that out of all the material I would be teaching on my introduction to shop safety for welding these are the things I desire my students retain. 

With every positive there is always a negative.  I myself had quite a few negatives for my first unit plan.  But that is okay it was my first unit plan!  I didn’t expect to create a perfect document.  It was very helpful having two of my peers’ review my unit plan and give me their feedback.  Anytime you can get multiple eyes to examine something the quality of the work to be submitted will be astronomically better.  Anyways things to take into consideration when I create more unit plans.

The first is to check over my grammar and spelling.  Proofreading and spell checking my work is important.  Sometimes what I envision my students doing in my head isn’t exactly what I have written down.  This can be eliminated with proofreading.  During assessments I need to set a timeline as to when they will be given.  Most of all I need to add objectives to some lessons.  I have to keep in mind that I have 90 minutes of instruction with my students.  Having too much material prepared is better than having too little.  I will have to go back through my unit plan and address concerns where I do not have enough objectives labeled for the lesson.

All in all the ball is rolling and those baby steps will have to be picked up into strides before the end of the semester.  The planning is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment