Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Recap on My Entire Microteaching Experience


I spoke with you exactly a week ago about my microteaching experience at Central Mountain High School.  I valued every minute of it.  It was exciting and at the same time nerve wracking to be the teacher.  I spoke in depth about my first day in the classroom.  It being a week later you might have been like was it so bad he was asked not to come back.  No… my brain has been going a hundred different which ways and it just hit me now as I am unpacking from my recent journey to Minnesota that hey!  I’ve got to finish reflecting on my microteaching experience.  As I was unpacking I thought back in my head about what stuck, what was important, and what I should file away moving forward.  Here you have it.

The important things that stuck out to me to file away moving forward in my teaching career.

·        Time!  There are not enough hours in the day, but you can never plan enough especially when your school is 50 minutes away.  Anything can happen.  I was fortunate, but I created hundreds of scenarios in my head while driving that could have made me late.

·        The office ladies are people you get to know!  Got it?  These ladies knew who I was by the time my micro teaching experience was over.  The door was already being unlocked for me before I got to it.

·        Use students’ names.  By doing this it makes it a more personal learning environment.  And it helps you get to know who’s who in your class.

·        Clarity is vital.  When giving directions to your students break statements and tasks up.

·        Allow for think time.  Do not just spoon feed them the answers some silence is okay.

·        Don’t be afraid to reprimand students when they are getting out of hand.  Hollering over their voice is not a successful means of controlling your classroom.  Be straight, be blunt, be short, and move on.

·        Forty five minutes goes by super-fast!  To get through the material you have set forth for the day set time limits and stick to them.

·        Have fun!  Find your groove.

Hopefully, now you have a better understanding on how my second two days of micro teaching went.  It is an experience that is very beneficial and the feedback and constructive criticism will pay off tenfold. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Woah, these points were well stated. I like the set-up to this blog post, great job! I like that you identify your students by name and I am assuming with eye contact. Something that can easily be overlooked, especially when only teaching at a school for 3 days. I also enjoyed reading your classroom management comment of how yelling is not always the answer. This is an excellent point and one I find is overlooked easily.

    ReplyDelete